An Animal Naturopath, or Natural Animal Health Coach, is a practitioner who uses only natural, noninvasive methods to improve the overall health and well being of their patients. By using only these means, they act as a guide, working with the pet owner to guide their patient into balance, physically and emotionally, thereby achieving the optimal health possible for the individual, doing no harm to them in the process. The animal naturopath works with their client to educate and empower them in how to achieve these goals for their pet.
Unlike in conventional medicine and veterinary care, the naturopath sees symptoms not as an illness, rather as the body's way of trying to tell us something is wrong. The naturopath uses these symptoms like a road map to guide them to the root cause of the patient's imbalance, then once an evaluation has been completed, the practitioner works together with the client to address the imbalance and help to bring the patient back to homeostasis. This is achieved by following the 8 Laws of Health.
What Are The 8 Laws of Health?
The 8 Laws of Health are what constitute the tenets of naturopathy. They are presented as laws, rather than suggestions, because when one or more of these laws is broken, there will be consequences. These consequences present as imbalance in the emotional, spiritual or physical aspect of the individual, and apply to all living creatures, human and animal. We like to think of these laws as a NEW START!
The 8 Laws of Health
- Nutrition - For all living beings, nutrition must be appropriate and correct for the species being nourished. This Ayurvedic proverb states it beautifully - When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need.
- Exercise - Necessary for proper circulation, exercise helps the body to distribute nourishment and eliminate toxins and waste through the blood and lymphatic systems. When our animals get adequate exercise, we assist their bodies to properly distribute nutrients, eliminate waste and bring about a much better quality of health and life!
- Water - Adequate hydration is necessary, and should be provided in the form of pure, non-chlorinated water, free from toxins.
- Sunshine and Supplements - An amazing array of healing benefits are obtained by simple unfiltered exposure to sunshine. These include vitamin D production in the body, antibacterial action on the skin and so much more! It is an essential component for life. Simply put, without sunshine, life on Earth would not exist! Supplements are sometimes indicated when working to detoxify and rebuild a weakened or damaged immune system, but always in moderation, and only when needed. Supplements should also be from natural and food based sources, never synthetic.
- Temperance - Temperance, or moderation, is necessary in all areas of life to ensure balance emotionally, physically, and spiritually.
- Air - Fresh air, free of toxins is imperative to good health.
- Rest - All living beings need adequate rest to allow their bodies the time needed to repair, detoxify, and replenish. Most detoxification and repair in the body takes place when the individual is at rest.
- Trust - Always trust in all of the Laws of Health, trust in the body's ability to heal itself, and trust in the Divine. The Laws of Health, when followed, will assure the best possible health for each individual, human or animal.